Facts and Information
Located in Melrose Park, Vanguard Westlake Hospital was founded in 1927.
Vanguard Westlake Hospital participates in many free health fairs and screenings at local churches and community groups and provides educational programs throughout the community. Westlake also hosts four blood drives a year in conjunction with Heartland Blood Centers and sponsors large community events.
In addition, Vanguard Westlake Hospital sought and received a grant from the American Academy of Pediatrics to offer an English/Spanish lactation clinic and parenting support group to educate new and expectant mothers and connect mothers to the appropriate community resources that can help them raise healthy children. In another community outreach effort, Westlake Hospital sought and received a three-year grant to provide hundreds of free screenings, including colonoscopy, mammography and bone densitometry, to uninsured and underinsured of the community.
Quick Facts About Vanguard Westlake Hospital
Vanguard Westlake Hospital is a 225-bed teaching hospital located in Melrose Park and is accredited by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program. Staffed with more than 300 physicians, the Hospital offers a comprehensive array of advanced inpatient, outpatient and surgical services. Part of Vanguard Health Chicago, Vanguard Westlake Hospital is a leader in bariatric surgery, rehabilitative medicine, orthopedics, cardiology and obstetrics. For more information, visit www.wlhospital.com.
Important Hospital Facts
- All private beds, with the exception of 5 semi-private rooms.
- Over 300 practicing physicians; 44 physician specialties.
- 7,487 inpatients in Fiscal Year 2011.
- 20,803 people seen in the Emergency Department in Fiscal Year 2011.
- 1,020 babies born in Fiscal Year 2011.
- Infection rates below the National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System rates.
- According to Chicago Consumers' Checkbook, Westlake is shown to be in the most favorable clinical outcome ratings in 10 of a possible 19 clinical areas.
Back & Neck Pain Center
- Exercise-based program that focuses on restoring a high level of function for our patients, rather than strictly focusing on eliminating pain.
- Comprehensive team of specialists, including physicians specializing in spine care, physical therapists, a social worker and a registered dietitian.
- Psychosocial component to help patients manage issues related to pain and healing.
- 30-bed acute adult inpatient unit.
- Referring physicians can follow patients.
- 5-star rated in Heart Failure and Acute MI by a national healthcare ratings company.
- Traditional capabilities: open-heart surgeries, cardiac catheterization procedures, stent insertions, emergency angioplasties.
- Latest Advancements: 64-Slice CT technology using the low dose cardiac acquisition technique.
The Center for Rehabilitation
- 40-bed certified acute rehab facility.
- Cares for patients who have experienced functional loss due to a disabling illness such as stroke; neurological conditions; amputation; spinal cord dysfunction; brain dysfunction; medically complex and other disabling conditions as determined by the Rehabilitation Team.
- Dedicated interdisciplinary team includes physiatrists; nurses; physical therapists; occupational therapists; speech therapists; social workers; psychologists; dietitians; and chaplains.
The Chicago Center for Bariatric Surgery
- Provides a variety of surgical weight-loss options: Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Lap-Band, Single Incision Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve.
- The Chicago Center for Bariatric Surgery and Frederick M. Tiesenga, M.D., F.A.C.S., have earned the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence® status, and designated an Aetna Institute of Quality®.
- Received excellence award in stroke care by a national healthcare ratings company.
- Stroke certified.
- New 13,000 square-foot facility with 12 private rooms.
- Designated decontamination room.
- Pediatric Emergency Room Certification.
- Rank nationally in the top 12 percent for overall Emergency patient satisfaction.
- Cardiovascular Equipment.
- Strength Equipment.
- Indoor Track.
- Group Fitness and Aerobic Classes.
- Personal Training.
- Warm Water Therapy Pool.
- Full service locker room.
- Massage Therapy.
- Latest Advancements: Gastric Ultrasound and Capsule Endoscopy.
- State-of-the-art GI Lab designed exclusively for digestive health procedures that features most advanced technology, including computer capabilities that transfer images to the patient record while the procedure is still underway.
Medical Imaging & Interventional Radiology
- Picture archiving and communication systems (PACS).
- Women's Medical Imaging Center with two Full-field digital mammography system featuring sophisticated computer aided detection technology, breast ultrasound, stereotactic breast biopsy and bone densitometry.
- 64-Slice CT using the low dose cardiac acquisition technique.
- Staffed by MIMIT Interventional Radiology specialist group.
- Prevention: Job analysis/pre-work screening and ergonomic assessment.
- Injury Management: Functional capacity evaluation, work conditioning and work hardening.
Obstetrics – The Family Birthplace
- Award Winning: 2007 Premier Award for Quality for excellence in maternal/neonatal care.
- 16 private birthing rooms for labor, delivery and postpartum recovery.
- Level II nursery fully staffed and equipped to provide 24-hour support.
- Neonatologist and Anesthesiologist available 24-hours a day.
- In-house OBs to respond to emergencies.
The Pain Center at River Forest
- Multidisciplinary team of experts who utilize comprehensive pain management treatments designed to reduce discomfort and improve and restore function.
- Board-certified pain management physicians have extensive training and expertise in the latest pain management techniques and procedures.
Pulmonary & Neurology Services
- Specialty excellence award in Stroke by a national healthcare ratings company.
- Outpatient Therapy services.
- 20,000 foot dedicated therapy treatment gym.
- Physical Therapy services with specialties in Women's Health and Aquatic Therapy.
- Occupational Therapy services including a Certified Hand Therapist.
- Speech Therapy services for Pediatric and Adult populations.
- Free membership program designed to help those 60 and older feel their best.
- Free education programs and screenings.
- Discounts in the Fitness Center, Pharmacy and Cafeteria.
- Affordable transportation to and from the hospital for only $2.
- Membership to the VIP Lounge.
- Leonard J. Muller Ambulatory Surgery Center is contiguous with the operating rooms and new GI suites to provide a seamless continuum of care for patients.
- The center's sleek, modern design provides a comfortable, attractive atmosphere for patients and their families. Each of the 16 private pre- and post-operative areas and the family waiting area is equipped with a television.
- Exceptional anesthesia care 24 hours, seven days a week.
- Surgeons perform the latest advancement in surgical techniques, including single incision laparoscopic surgery, or SILS, that results in better cosmetic results, minimal pain, less risk for infection, less bleeding and allows the patient to return home the same day.